Sarah T. Bolton Park
Return to Parks Department
Sarah T. Bolton Park, originally known as “Beech Bank”, was purchased in 1930 from the Bolton Estate and was named for the first lady of Hoosier poetry, Sarah Title (Barrett) Bolton. The park reflects the life and beauty that Mrs. Bolton often spoke of in her poetry.
Located at 1300 Churchman Avenue, Sarah T. Bolton is a nearly 32-acre park facility that can be accessed from the intersection of 13th and Churchman Avenues, from 17th Avenue, and from Main Street at 15th Avenue. In 2010 the vehicular bridge was replaced with a two lane bridge and allows patrons to once again drive through and access all areas of the park.
Park features include picnic areas, rolling topography, a creek that winds through the property, athletic courts and fields, a one-acre Dog Park, Natural Area, and play equipment with nearby shelters and restroom facilities. Sarah T. Bolton is the most used and could best be described as Beech Grove's most traditional park.
Sarah T. Bolton Park is recognized by the National Wildlife Federation as a Certified Wildlife Habitat.
The Beech Grove City Council has approved naming the baseball diamond in Sarah T. Bolton Park in honor of Richard "Dick" Templin, effective July 20, 2012. Dick Templin was a lifelong resident of Beech Grove, served 24 years on the City Council, managed Beech Grove's American Legion Baseball Team for over 35 years, scouted for the Philadelphia Phillies, and was inducted into the Beech Grove Little League Hall of Fame.